Monday, June 27, 2011

Entry #6 What I Did On My Summer Vacation - Fuzzy Bowl















 I have been using the white coffee filters for papier mache, in addition to the yo-yo pieces. Here is the first bowl. I got the bowl for free. I liked the shape and the slight foot. I was not sure if it would work because of the foot, but thought it was worth a try.  I covered the bottom with Vaseline and then used the torn coffee filters and papier mache paste to construct the bowl. I lost track of how many layers I put on, but after about three layers I felt it was strong enough and I cut it off the bowl with a utility knife, and then patched the seam with several more layers of papier mache so the seam does not show. It is quite strong, yet also slightly translucent, especially around the inside of the bottom where the foot is. I find it interesting that the one area that I thought might create the problem ended up being my favorite part. I was sitting on the back deck while working on the last layer when drifting cottonwood fluff caught my eye. I gathered some up and applied it with paste for the final inside layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment